The need for engine repair comes after a run of about 150,000 km
By this run, the gaps reach values that cause a drop in engine power, a decrease in oil pressure in the oil line, a sharp increase in oil consumption (over 0.25 l / 100 km), excessive engine smoke, increased fuel consumption, as well as increased knocks.
Approximately, the gaps in the mating of the main parts due to wear should not exceed the following values, mm:
- piston skirt - cylinder liner - 0.25
- piston ring - groove in the piston (height) 0.15
- piston ring lock 2.5
- piston - piston pin 0.015
- the upper head of the connecting rod - piston pin 0.03
- connecting rod and main
- bearings 0.15
- valve stem - sleeve 0.20
- camshaft axial play 0.25
- axial play of the crankshaft 0.40
The performance of the engine can be restored by replacing worn parts with new ones of a standard size or by regrinding worn parts and using new oversize parts associated with them.
The following oversize parts are available: pistons, piston rings, crankshaft main and connecting rod bearing shells, intake and exhaust valve seats, semi-finished camshaft bushings and valve guides.
Removing and installing engine
To remove the engine, the car must be installed on a viewing hole.
The workplace must be equipped with a hoist or other lifting device with a load capacity of at least 300 kg.
Remove the engine in the following order:
- open the hood and remove it by unscrewing the four bolts of its fastening to the hinges );
- drain the coolant from the cooling system by unscrewing the plug on the radiator and opening the cocks on the cylinder block and heater ">Changing engine coolant ).
Remove the expansion tank cap;
- drain the oil from the engine crankcase and gearbox by unscrewing the drain plugs.
After draining the oil, replace the plugs and tighten them tightly;
- remove the battery;
- hook the engine onto the load eyes and tension the hoist chain.
Work under car:
- remove the cardan shaft assembly (see How to remove the cardan shaft”);
- install a plug-plug into the hole of the gearbox extension;
- unscrew the nuts securing the rear engine mount to the cross member;
- detach the cross member from the vehicle frame and remove the cross member;
- disconnect the speedometer shaft from the gearbox;
- disconnect the bracket for fastening the exhaust pipes of the exhaust system from the gearbox;
- disconnect the exhaust pipes from the engine exhaust manifold;
- disconnect the wires from the reverse light switch on the gearbox;
- unscrew the two bolts securing the slave cylinder of the clutch release drive and disconnect the cylinder from the clutch housing.
Work carried out on the left side of the car:
- disconnect from the ignition distributor the high and low voltage wires going to the ignition coil, the wires from the starter, from the pressure and emergency oil pressure sensors on the oil filter, from the coolant temperature indicator sensor on the thermostat housing and the coolant overheating indicator sensor in cylinder head cover;
- disconnect the fuel line hose from the fuel pump;
- unscrew the bolt securing the left cushion to the bracket on the engine.
Work carried out on the right side of the car:
- disconnect the wires from the generator;
- disconnect the warm and cold air intake hoses from the air filter, air intake pipes, exhaust pipe heat shield and remove them;
- disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose from the air filter, rocker cover and remove it;
- remove the cover and the air filter element;
- bend the mustache of the lock washers and unscrew the nuts securing the air filter housing, carefully remove the nuts and lock washers, preventing them from getting into the engine;
- remove the air filter housing with a flange and gaskets, close the carburetor with a clean cloth;
- disconnect the wires from the carburetor;
- disconnect the drive cable from the carburetor and throttle valves and draft air damper;
- disconnect the fuel bypass fuel line hose from the carburetor;
- disconnect the hoses from the solenoid valve of the forced idle economizer system;
- disconnect two heater hoses from the engine;
- disconnect the coolant drain valve;
- disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose from the intake pipe;
- disconnect the ground wire;
- unscrew the bolt securing the right cushion to the bracket on the engine.
- remove the radiator grille by loosening the fastening bolts;
- disconnect the hood latch cable;
- having unscrewed the bolts, remove the upper panel of the radiator lining;
- having unscrewed the bolts, remove the lower fastening bar of the radiator lining;
- disconnect the hoses from the expansion tank to the thermostat housing and distribution pipe;
- disconnect the hoses from the radiator and from the engine, remove the hoses;
- unscrew the radiator mounting bolts and remove it.
Inside body work:
- raise the rubber seal to the gear lever handle;
- unscrew the lever fastening cap on the neck of the gearbox cover and pull the lever up;
- close the hole in the neck with a clean cloth.
Remove the engine complete with clutch and gearbox. The engine is installed in place in the reverse order of removal.