Faults in the operation of the steering do not always depend on its condition, and sometimes are caused by other reasons
Therefore, before checking and adjusting the steering mechanism, it is necessary to check the wheel balance, the air pressure in the tires, the presence of lubrication in the steering units and wheel hubs, the adjustment of the wheel bearings and steering rods and the correctness of their position, the normal operation of the shock absorbers, the correct installation angles of the front wheels, as all this affects the operation of the steering.
In addition, you should check the oil level in the power steering pump bank and the tension of its belt, as well as whether there is air in the system, sediment or dirt in the reservoir and on the pump filters, and oil leaks in the pipeline connections.
Checking the steering gear adjustments must be done in the following order:
- 1) disconnect the steering link;
- 2) measure, using a spring dynamometer attached to the steering wheel rim, the force on this rim in the following three positions:
- - first - the steering wheel is turned more than 2 turns from the middle position, the force on the steering wheel rim should be 0.55-1.35 kg;
- - second - the steering wheel is turned ¾ -1 turn from the middle position, the force should not exceed 2.3 kg;
- - third - the steering wheel passes the middle position, the force on the steering wheel rim should be 0.8-1.25 kg more than the force obtained when measuring in the second position, but not exceed 2.8 kg.
If, when measuring forces in these positions, they do not correspond to the indicated values, then the steering mechanism should be adjusted.
It is necessary to start adjusting the steering gear by setting the amount of effort in the third position by turning the adjusting screw 30, since this does not require disassembling the steering gear.
Turning the screw clockwise will increase the force, while turning it counterclockwise will decrease it.
The discrepancy between the forces on the wheel rim in the second position of the above value is caused by damage to the parts of the ball nut assembly, in the first position - by the same reasons, as well as incorrect preload of thrust ball bearings 13.
To adjust the force in the first position, the steering mechanism should be partially disassembled in order to tighten the nut 19.