The front wheel hubs rotate on two tapered roller bearings 2 and 8 mounted on the steering knuckle
The outer rings of the bearing are pressed into the hub, and the inner rings are freely installed on the knuckle
Six bolts are pressed into the hub flange to secure the wheels.
The brake disc is also mounted on the flanges.
The front wheel hubs require periodic adjustment of the bearings and change of lubricant in accordance with the instruction manual.
Adjusting the front wheel bearings
To adjust, do the following:
- raise the wheel with a jack so that the tire does not touch the support plane, remove the wheel cap, remove the cap 7 of the hub, unpin and loosen the adjusting nut 5 by ½ turn, check the ease of rotation of the wheel
In case of wheel braking, eliminate the cause;
- tighten the adjusting nut 5 with a wrench with a torque of 50-80 Nm (5.0-8.0 kgcm).
When tightening the nut, it is necessary to turn the wheel to evenly place the rollers in the bearings;
- unscrew nut 5 at an angle of 22—45° (no more than one slot of the crown) and cotter it;
- make sure the wheel bearings are correctly adjusted - the wheel should rotate freely without axial play;
- put the hub and wheel caps in place;
- finally check the correctness of the adjustment of the bearings with a mileage of 8-10 km.
Strong heating of the hub (over 70 ° C) is unacceptable and must be eliminated by re-adjustment.
Greasing should be done with the hub removed after 36,000-60,000 km of run, depending on operating conditions, for this you need:
- remove the decorative and inner 7 hub caps
- loosen the wheel nuts, then jack up the car wheel, remove the wheel;
- unpin the steering knuckle nut and unscrew it;
- remove the hub, wash it and the bearings in kerosene, after removing the old grease;
- lubricate the bearings and fill the inner cavity of the hub with grease "Litol-24" or "Lita" in the amount of 75 g per hub;
- install the hub, tighten the nut, adjust the bearings (as above), cotter the nut, install the inner cap, wheel, pre-screw the wheel nut;
- lower the wheel from the jack. Finally tighten the wheel nuts to 300-380 Nm (30-38 kgcm);
- install protective cap.
When replacing the oil seal the hub removal steps above must be followed.
The oil seal should be pressed evenly into the hub.
After pressing, its back side should be in the same plane with the end of the hub.