Ignition installation during engine assembly, as well as on engines from which the distributor and distributor drive were removed, must be carried out in the following order:
- 1. Install the piston of the first cylinder at the top dead center of the compression stroke, for which turn the crankshaft until the hole on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the TDC mark on the ignition setting indicator located on the maximum speed limiter sensor (Fig. 1, a)
- 2. Position the groove (fig. 2) on the distributor drive shaft assembly so that the groove is parallel to the notch on the top flange of the distributor drive housing.
- 3. In this position, it is necessary to insert the distributor drive into the block socket, and before starting this operation, it is necessary to position the holes in the lower flange of the drive housing exactly above the threaded holes for the bolts securing the distributor housing to the block.
After the distributor drive is in place, the angle between the axis of the groove on the drive shaft and the axis connecting the holes on the upper flange of the distributor housing must be within 15°.
With a larger angle, the drive gear should be rearranged relative to the camshaft gear by one tooth, keeping the angle within the specified limits; in this case, the groove on the drive shaft must be shifted towards the front end of the engine.
If at the same time the drive housing cannot be seated until the gap between its lower flange and the flange on the block is eliminated (which indicates a mismatch between the spike on the distributor drive shaft and the groove on the oil pump shaft), it is necessary to turn the engine crankshaft two turns while simultaneously by lightly pressing on the distributor drive housing.
- 4. Turn the engine crankshaft by the value of the ignition timing setting; to do this, by rotating the engine crankshaft with the starting handle, at the end of the second revolution, align the hole in the crankshaft pulley with the mark 9 on the ignition timing indicator (Fig. 1, b).
- 5. Loosen the bolt securing the plate to the distributor and insert the distributor into the distributor drive socket so that the octane corrector is directed upwards.
In this case, the rotor electrode will be against the terminal of the first cylinder on the distributor cap.
Turn on the ignition and turn the distributor housing counterclockwise until a spark appears between the end of the central wire coming from the ignition coil and the ground (the gap between the end of the wire and the ground should be 2-3 mm).
- 6. With this position of the distributor body, tighten the bolt securing the plate to the distributor.
Check the correct installation of the wires in the distributor cap in accordance with the firing order in the cylinders (1—5—4—2—6—3—7—8).
Before installing the ignition, check and, if necessary, adjust the gap between the contacts of the breaker, and also align the pointer of the upper plate of the octane corrector with the mark 0 on the lower plate.
The ignition installation in engines from which the distributor was removed for adjustment and repair, but the distributor drive was not removed, must be carried out in accordance with the instructions given in paragraphs. 3-6.
The ignition installation on engines on which neither the distributor nor its drive has been removed is carried out in accordance with the instructions given in paragraphs. 3, 5 and 6, slightly unscrewing the bolt securing the plate to the distributor before the operation indicated in paragraph 5.
The ignition setting on the engine in accordance with the grade of gasoline used must be clarified using the scale on the top plate of the distributor (octane corrector scale) by road testing the car with a load until detonation occurs as follows:
- 1. Warm up the engine and drive on a level road in direct gear at a steady speed of 30 km/h.
- 2. Sharply press the throttle control pedal to failure and hold it in this position until the speed increases to 60 km / h; at the same time, you need to listen to the operation of the engine.
- 3. In case of strong detonation in the engine operation mode specified in paragraph 2, by rotating the nuts of the octane corrector, move the index arrow of the upper plate along the scale towards the “─” sign.
- 4. In the absence of detonation in the engine operation mode specified in paragraph 2, by rotating the nuts of the octane corrector, move the arrow of the upper plate along the scale in the direction marked “+”.
If the ignition is set correctly, when the car accelerates, a slight detonation disappearing at a speed of 40-45 km / h.