Parking brake system drive - mechanical, cable, on the rear wheels
It consists of a lever (with a handle and a locking mechanism), an intermediate lever and its rod, an equalizer and its rod, cables, a drive lever with a rod in the rear brake mechanisms.
The free play of the drive arm is adjusted by the eccentric on the rear block, and the tension of the cables is adjusted by the adjusting nut on the equalizer rod.
Adjusting the parking brake
1. Check the position of the parking brake lever, which should be in the lowest position.
- 2. Loosen lock nut 1 and adjusting nut 2 and disconnect both parking brake cables from equalizer 3.
- 3. Remove the rear wheel brake drums.
4. Check the free play of the drive lever on each rear brake.
To do this, move the dirt cover and with a little effort (the brake pads must not move) pull the cable 1 towards the front of the car.
The movement of the cable 1 relative to the end of the tip 2 of the sheath should be within 6–9 mm.
If the amount of travel differs from the specified value, the free play of the actuating lever must be adjusted.
5. To adjust the free play of the drive lever, loosen the nut 1 of the parking brake adjusting eccentric and, turning the eccentric 2 with a slotted screwdriver, achieve the desired result.
After adjusting, tighten nut 1, keeping the eccentric from turning, and install the brake drum and wheels.
- 6. Push the mudguards into place.
- 7. Move the parking brake lever up one click.
- 8. Connect the cables to the equalizer. Tighten the adjusting nut until the rear wheels can still be rotated freely by hand (this allows a slight touch of the friction linings of the pads on the working surfaces of the brake drums). Tighten locknut.
- 9. Set the parking brake lever to its lowest position.
- 10. When the parking brake is properly adjusted, the brake drums should not heat up while the vehicle is moving without braking.
Removing and installing the parking brake cable
1. Check the installation of the parking brake lever, which must be in the lowest position.
- 2. Loosen lock nut 1 and adjusting nut 2 and disconnect parking brake cable from equalizer 3.
- 3. Move the mudguard 1, unscrew the nut 2 fastening the sheath 3 of the cable to the bracket 4 of the body and disconnect the sheath of the cable from the bracket.
- 4. Remove the rear wheel brake drum.
- 5. Disconnect the upper brake pad mounts.
- 6. Unscrew the two fastening bolts 1 and detach the cable sheath 2 from the brake shield.
- 7. Detach tip 1 of cable sheath from actuating lever 2
- 8. Remove parking brake cable into its tip through the hole in the brake shield
Install the parking brake cable in the reverse order of removal. During installation, the parking brake must be adjusted.