GAZ-2705 rear hub bearing clearance adjustment
To adjust the bearings you need:
- raise the wheels with a jack so that the tires do not touch the plane of the support.
Unscrew the nuts and remove the axle shaft 8, unscrew the lock nut 7, remove the lock washer 6, loosening the bearing fastening nut 5 by ¹/3 - ½ turn, check the ease of rotation of the wheel.
In case of wheel braking, eliminate the cause of its tight rotation (grazing of the drum and brake shoes) and only then carry out the adjustment;
- tighten the nut 5 for fastening the bearings with a special wrench with a wrench (600 mm) to a torque of 70 to 100 Nm (7-10 kgm).
When tightening the nut, it is necessary to turn the wheels to evenly place the rollers in the bearings;
- unscrew the nut 5 at an angle of 22—45° (by 1—2 slots, no more, on the lock washer 6).
Install the lock washer and make sure that the lock pin fits into the slot in the washer;
- tighten locknut 7 to 150—200 Nm (15—20 kgm);
- check adjustment. With proper adjustment, the wheel should rotate freely, there should be no axial play;
- insert axle shaft 8, put spring washers and tighten the nuts of the axle shaft fastening studs.
. check the adjustment of the bearings according to the degree of heating of the wheel hub during the control run of 8-10 km.
Strong heating of the hub (over 70 ° C, the hand does not tolerate) is unacceptable and must be eliminated by re-adjustment.
The rear wheel hub bearings are lubricated with oil coming from the rear axle housing through the axle housings. Therefore, after adjusting the bearings, check the oil level in the rear axle housing and add oil if necessary.
To fill the cavity of the hubs with grease, raise the right and left wheels alternately to a height of at least 300 mm and hold for at least 6 minutes. at a temperature of oil and ambient air of at least 15 ° C.
The hubs are removed from the vehicle only when worn bearings or oil seals are replaced. for this you need:
- loosen the wheel nuts, and then raise the wheels with a jack so that they do not touch the support plane, then remove the wheels;
- unscrew the nuts and remove the axle shaft
- unscrew the nut, remove the lock washer, unscrew the hub fastening nut.
Remove the hub with the drum, bearings and oil seal;
- replace damaged parts. When replacing the oil seal, it is necessary to press it evenly.
After pressing the oil seal, its back side should be in the same plane as the end face of the hub.
After replacing damaged parts, the bearings must be adjusted as described above.