Disassembling the switching mechanism of cars of the UAZ-31512 family (Fig. 8)
Fig. 1. Gearshift mechanism for cars of the UAZ-31512 family
Disassemble in the following order:
Fig. 2. Removing the stem hole plugs
- 1. Unscrew the four screws of the shift lever support and remove the support with the lever and the preload spring (this operation is done before removing the entire unit from the car).
- 2. Remove the three stem hole plugs from one side of the cover (fig. 2).
Fig. 3. Pressing out the shift fork rods
- 3. Unscrew the plug of the 1st and 2nd gears rod retainer socket and remove the spring and ball.
- 4. Unpin and unscrew the locking screws of the forks.
- 5. Press out the rods (Fig. 3) of the shift forks through the holes in the cover where the plugs were removed, and remove the forks.
- When pressing out the rods of III and IV gears and reverse, do not lose the retainer ball ejected by the spring.
- 6. Remove the springs and balls of the rod retainers.
- 7. Remove the two lock plungers through the hole of the latch of 1st and 2nd gears.
- 8. Loosen the three screws and remove the fuse cover and return spring.
- 9. Slide the safety plunger out, remove the circlip and remove the plunger. At the same time, keep the ball of the plunger lock from falling out.
- 10. Remove the spring and detent ball.
Fig. 4. Gearshift mechanism for cars of the UAZ-3741 family
Disassembling the switching mechanism of cars of the UAZ-3741 family (Fig. 11)
Disassemble in the following order:
- 1. Remove the three stem hole plugs in one end of the cover (see fig. 9).
- 2. Loosen and remove the fork locking screws.
- 3. Unscrew the stopper of the 1st and 2nd gear rod retainer socket and remove the spring and the retainer ball.
- 4. Press the stems (see fig. 10) through the holes in the cover where the plugs were removed and remove the forks. When pressing out the rods of III and GU gears and reverse, do not lose the retainer ball ejected by the spring.
- 5. Remove the springs and balls of the rod retainers; remove the two locking plungers through the hole of the latch of 1st and 2nd gears.
- 6. Unscrew the nut and remove the lever 22 from the splines (see Fig. 11),
- 7. Knock down the pin 24 of the lever axle 23 and remove the axle together with the selector lever.
- 8. Loosen the nut and remove the lever 16.
- 9. Turn away three bolts, remove a cover 15 of an epiploon and take out a spring. Having lowered the shaft 10 with the coupling 12 and two washers, remove the shaft through the side cavity of the cover.
Before removing levers 22 and 16, note the relative position of the levers on the rollers in order to reinstall the levers.
Disassembling the gearshift control mechanism for UAZ-3741 family cars
Disassemble in the following order:
Fig. 5. Gear shift control mechanism for cars of the UAZ-3741 family
- 1. Disconnect the rods 8 and 11 (Fig. 5) from the levers 9 and 10.
- 2. Unscrew the rods 5 and 14 from the levers 6 and 13.
- 3. Disconnect the bracket 12 intermediate levers.
- 4. Remove the mechanism bracket together with gearshift lever 1.
- 5. Wash the parts of the control mechanism.
- 6. Detect wear in the levers and rods by external inspection.
- 7. Replace worn parts.
Assembly of the gearshift control mechanism for cars of the UAZ-3741 family
Assemble the mechanism in the reverse order of disassembly. After assembly, adjust the gearbox control mechanism.
Adjust by changing the length of the horizontal - 8.11 (see Fig. 5) and vertical - 5, 14 rods in the following order:
- 1. Before starting the adjustment, set lever 9 to the neutral position (N), and lever 10 to position III–IV until it stops against the blocking spring.
- 2. Gearshift lever 1 posput in the position corresponding to the choice of gears I and II. In this position, connect and secure the selection rods 8 and 14 without allowing the levers to be pulled up.
- 3. After that, put the lever I in the position corresponding to the choice of gears III and IV and also freely connect the shift rods 5 and 11.
- 4. At the end of the adjustment, check the completeness of the gear engagement. To do this, turn on the first gear and make sure that the rods and levers do not rest against neighboring parts.
Perform the same test by engaging the reverse gear. At the same time, pay attention to the fact that the intermediate lever 6 does not rest against the frame cross member and mudguard.
When the reverse gear is engaged, the gap between them should be 2–3 mm.
Assembling the gearshift mechanism for cars of the UAZ-3741 family
Fig. 6. Installing the shift shaft cover O-ring
- 1. Install the rubber sealing ring (Fig. 6) in the shift shaft seal cover.
- 2. Install the rubber sealing ring in the hole for the axis of the selector lever 23 (see Fig. 6).
Fig. 7. Assembling the shift shaft
- 3. Install the clutch (Fig. 7), thrust washer, spring thrust cup and spring onto the shift shaft.
Insert the shaft into the side cover housing and install the gland cover with gasket, secure the cover with three bolts.
Fig. 8. Installing the selector lever assembly with the axle
- 4. Install the selector lever assembly with the axle (Fig. 8) into the cover body so that the selector lever enters the groove of the shift sleeve.
Lock the lever with a pin, which you hammer in from below.
Fig. 9. Reverse stem and fork assembly
- 5. Turn the side cover upside down with the machined flange upwards and insert into the sockets of the spring retainers and balls of the III and IV gears and the reverse rod using a mandrel (see Fig. 9).
Fig. 10. Assembly of the stem and shift fork of III and IV gears
- 6. Install the reverse fork on the stem from the side opposite to the retainer, and, having sunk the retainer ball (Fig. 10) into the cover body using a mandrel (see Fig. 10), set the stem to the neutral position.
So sequentially assemble all the rods (Fig. 10) and forks.
Insert lock biscuits between the rods.
Fig. 11. Cotter pinning of the bolts securing the forks: 1 - bolt; 2 - cotter pin
- 7. Fix the forks on the rods with conical bolts and cotter them with wire (Fig. 11), which should not interfere with the movement of the forks.
When attaching the forks, the shift clutch lever must be in the groove of the forks.
- 8. Insert the detent ball and spring into the hole in the 1st and 2nd gear rod and tighten the plug. At the same time, keep in mind that the spring of the rod retainer of I and II gears in the free state is longer than the other two springs of the rod retainers.
- 9. Install six plugs into the end holes of the cover body, a plug into the hole for the shift shaft and caulk them.
Fig. 12. Installation of external selector and shift levers
- 10. Install the selector and shift levers (fig. 12) on the splines of the shafts and secure them with nuts and spring washers.
Fig. 13. The position of the selector lever and shift lever pafter installing the mechanism on the gearbox: A - corresponding to reverse; B - corresponding to the inclusion of III and IV gears; B - corresponding to the inclusion of I and II gears; 1 – selection lever; 2 - shift lever (in neutral position)
The correct position of the levers is checked with the neutral position of the gears in the gearbox after installing the shift mechanism on the gearbox in accordance with fig. 13.
Assembling the gearshift mechanism for cars of the UAZ-31512 family
Assemble the gearshift mechanism in the following order:
- 1. Install the spring and the fuse retainer ball into the socket.
- 2. While compressing the latch spring, insert the fuse plunger into the hole from the inside of the cover until it stops.
- 3. Install the retaining ring on the plunger.
- 4. Insert the return spring into the body of the plunger.
- 5. Close the fuse plunger with a cover with a gasket and tighten the three screws with spring washers.
- 6. Turn the cover over with the large flange up and put the springs and balls for the III and IV gear rods and the reverse rod into the sockets of the retainers.
Fig. 14. Device for assembling rods and clamps: a - assembly of the clamp; b - stem installation
- 7. Insert the stem of the reverse fork into the cover from the side opposite to the latch, install the fork on the stem and, sinking the ball with the help of a mandrel (Fig. 14), install the stem on the neutral position lock; in the same way, assemble all the rods and forks in sequence, starting with the reverse rod. Lay the lock pins between the rods.
- 8. Fasten the forks to the stems with conical bolts and cotter pin the bolts with wire.
The splint wire must not interfere with the movement of the forks.
- 9. Place the ball and spring into the hole of the rod lock of I and II gears and wrap the plug. Keep in mind that the 1st and 2nd gear detent spring is longer than the other two stem detent springs when free.
- 10. Insert six plugs into the end holes of the body for the rods and caulk the plugs.
- 11. Lubricate the shift lever bearing sphere assembled with trunnions and slide the sphere onto the shift lever.
- 12. Place the gasket on the shift cover and fit the conical spring into the annular recess.
- 13. Install the support together with the lever on the cover so that the lever enters the spring, and the support closes the hole in the body with its tide and fix the support with four screws with spring washers.
- 14. Put a rubber seal on the lever and support and screw on the handle.