Checking and adjusting the clearance in the valves must be carried out on a cold engine (coolant temperature 20˚С ± 5°С), with the cylinder head mounted on the block
Remove the engine cover.
Remove air filter
Remove the resonator.
Remove the cylinder head cover.
- - Disconnect the ignition coil connector and remove the ignition coil.
- - Remove the cylinder head cover.
Set the piston of the first cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke, to do this:
- - Turn the crankshaft pulley and align the selection on the pulley with the mark on the plate, as shown in the figure.
- - Check and make sure that the mark on the camshaft sprocket (A) is aligned in a straight line with the surface of the cylinder head. If the hole does not match the mark, rotate the crankshaft 360˚.
Measure the clearance in the valves, for this:
Check the valves marked in the picture (cylinder no. 1, TDC/compression), measure the valve clearance.
- Use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the cam and the base circle of the camshaft. Record your measurements.
They will be needed to determine the required position of the replaced cam.
Engine coolant temperature 20˚C. Maximum allowable clearance:
0.10 - 0.30 mm (inlet), 0.20 - 0.40 mm (outlet).
- - Rotate the crankshaft pulley 360˚ and align the groove with the “T” mark on the lower timing chain cover
- - Check the valves marked in the picture (cylinder #4, TDC/compression). Measure the valve clearance.
Adjust the gap in the exhaust and intake valves, for this:
Set the piston of cylinder No. 1 to TDC, compression.
- - Put a mark on the timing belt and camshaft sprockets.
- - Remove the camshaft bearing caps (A, B).
- - Remove the camshaft assembly.
- - Remove hydraulic compensator.
- - Measure the thickness of the cam with a micrometer
Calculate the thickness of the new cam, the value should not exceed the standard value.
Valve clearance (at engine coolant temperature: 20˚C). T is the thickness of the removed cam, A is the measured valve clearance, M is the thickness of the new cam.
Inlet: M = T + (A - 0.20 mm).
Issue: M = T + (A - 0.25 mm).
• Choose the thickness of the new cam as close as possible to the standard value.
The gasket size should be between 3 and 3.6 ± 0.015 mm, size number 41.
Apply engine oil to the edges of the cam.
- Install intake and exhaust camshafts,
- Install bearing cap
- Install the timing belt.
- Turn the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and move the marks (A) of the crankshaft and camshaft sprocket (A).
- Check valve clearance again.
Valve clearance (at 20˚C engine coolant temperature).
- Inlet: 0.17 - 0.23 mm.
- Outlet: 0.27 - 0.33 mm.