To restore the normal gap between the pads and brake drums and reduce the pedal travel, adjust the eccentrics, in which the hexagonal heads of the axles are brought out through the shield
Adjust the gaps between the shoes and brake drums (current adjustment) in the following order:
- 1. Jack up the wheel whose brakes need to be adjusted.
- 2. While turning the wheel, gradually turn the adjusting eccentric until the wheel brakes.
- 3. Gradually release the eccentric, turning the wheel until it rotates freely without touching the drum on the pads.
- 4. Adjust the gaps between the shoes and drums of the remaining brake mechanisms in the same way.
Fig. 9. Adjusting the clearance between the pads and the brake drum of the front wheel
When adjusting the brakes of the front wheels and the front shoes of the brakes of the rear wheels, turn the wheel forward (fig. 9).
Fig. 10. Adjusting the gaps between the pads and the rear wheel brake drum
When adjusting the rear brake pads of the rear wheels, rotate the wheel backwards (fig. 10).
To reduce the gaps, turn the eccentrics in the direction of rotation of the wheel, and to increase - against.
5. Check on the move of the car that the brake drums do not heat up and that the brakes work evenly when braking.
During the current adjustment, do not use the support pins, as this will violate the factory setting of the pads.
When replacing friction linings, adjust the pad setting.
Adjust the brake mechanisms when the brake drums are completely cool and the wheel bearings are correctly adjusted.
Adjust the free play of the pedal on vehicles of the UAZ-31512 family by changing the position of the stop switch 14 (see Fig. 3) of the brake signal.
Fig. 3. The drive of the service brake system of cars of the UAZ-31512 family
Fig. 11. The drive of the service brake system of cars of the UAZ-3741 family
Adjust the free play of the pedal on vehicles of the UAZ-3741 family by changing the length of the vertical link 9 (see Fig. 11) using the forks 7, after unscrewing the lock nuts 8.
Check pedal free play with the engine off. The pedal free play on UAZ vehicles is 5–14 mm, counting along its platform.